(609) 407-1000
Hyberg, White & Mann Law Firm

Can My Employer Fire Me If I'm Injured on the Job in New Jersey? - February 12th 2018

New Jersey Workers’ Compensation law mandates that employer’s carry insurance to cover employees who are injured on the job.  The insurance is designed to pay for accident related medical costs, compensate the injured worker for lost wages while under active medical care, and provide a monetary award to compensate the worker for any permanent disability attributed to the work accident.  However, in order to be entitled to these benefits, the injured employee must first notify the employer of the accident and request medical treatment under workers’ compensation.

Due to this “notice” requirement, many injured employees are hesitant to file a formal workers’ compensation claim or even pursue the medical treatment they need.  One of the most common questions we encounter at an initial client consultation is: “Can my employer fire me for filing a workers’ compensation claim?”

The NJ Workers’ Compensation Act expressly addresses this question.  N.J.S.A. 34:15-39.1 states in pertinent part: “It shall be unlawful for any employer to discharge or in any other manner discriminate against an employee as to his employment because such employee has claimed or attempted to claim workmen’s compensation benefits from such employer, or because he has testified, or is about to testify, in any proceeding under the chapter to which this act is a supplement.

Although the language of the statute specifically prohibits an employer from discharging or discriminating against an employee as to his employment, there are some ways around this.  For example, an employer does not have to allow you to return to your job if you are unable to perform its essential responsibilities or if it would be hazardous to your safety or health or the safety or health of other employees, clients, or customers.[i]

If you have been injured on the job, it is very important to notify your employer of the accident and need for accident related medical treatment.  After you have done that, contact a workers’ compensation attorney at Hyberg, White and Mann to discuss your entitlement to WC benefits and any potential implication of retaliatory discharge/discrimination. Call us at 609-407-1000 to schedule your free consultation.


[i] Malone v. Aramark Servs., Inc., 334 N.J. Super. 669, 681 (Law Div. 2000).


Last 10 Postings

When Medical Care Leads To Medical Crisis
Posted: October 23rd 2018

Workers’ Compensation in Atlantic City, NJ Casinos
Posted: July 23rd 2018

What is “No-Fault” Auto Insurance Coverage and How Does It Work?
Posted: April 17th 2018

Can My Employer Fire Me If I'm Injured on the Job in New Jersey?
Posted: February 12th 2018

Dog Bite Injuries in New Jersey
Posted: November 02nd 2017

NJ Worker Injured While Working in Another State
Posted: September 13th 2017

Casino Personal Injury Cases
Posted: August 08th 2017

Bicycle Accidents in Atlantic City - Bike Accident Advice
Posted: June 27th 2017

No Fault Workers’ Compensation in New Jersey
Posted: June 05th 2017

Construction Injuries in New Jersey
Posted: April 25th 2017


The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.
Each case is unique and we encourage you to seek licensed legal advice to ensure all of your questions are answered.  
No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking
the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the state of New Jersey.


EXECUTIVE PLAZA, SUITE 105, 2111 NEW ROAD, NORTHFIELD, NJ 08225 - PHONE: (609) 407-1000