A serious, life altering accident can initially seem overwhelming, especially given the physical, emotional, and financial obstacles that will likely follow. If you were injured as a result of someone else’s negligent conduct, you may be entitled to certain “damages”. The different classifications of damages, and extent to which you may be entitled, depends on several factors. An experienced personal injury lawyer will be able to evaluate your accident in order to claim the proper damages. The following explains some of the damages typically found in a personal injury case:

Compensatory Damage

Compensatory damages seek to reimburse or compensate an injured party for the harm they have suffered. The goal is to make the injured party “whole” through some monetary award by attempting to place them in the same physical/emotional/financial position they would have been in, had the accident never occurred. Compensatory damages is a very broad term and encompasses many different types of loss, however they are generally broken down into two main categories:

1. Special Compensatory Damages
Special damages compensate an injured party for the monetary expenses incurred as a result of an accident. This most commonly includes medical bills, lost wages (both now and in the future), future medical expenses, household expenses, and costs to restore property damage. There is ordinarily no limit to how much you can claim because special damages are based on a measurable dollar amount of actual loss. These costs are important for helping you get back on your feet after an injury.

2. General Compensatory Damages
General compensatory damages are made to compensate non-monetary damages. These damages are more subjective since they are intangible, thus they are much more difficult to calculate. The most common general damages include pain and suffering, mental anguish and loss of consortium.

Punitive Damages

Punitive damages are sometimes awarded to an injured party in order to punish the defendant for their particularly egregious conduct. This category of damages is also seen as a means of deterring others from similar conduct in the future. Punitive damages are not associated with the “compensatory” aspect of the claim, so the basis for the punishment is left to the jury and varies in each case. 

If you believe you are entitled to damages suffered as a result of a personal injury, you should contact an injury lawyer near you. It is important that you speak with your personal injury attorney prior to submitting to any sworn statements so you can understand your legal rights and obligations.

Hyberg, White & Mann offers a free consultation to those looking to pursue damages for personal injury claims. Call them at 609-407-1000 or schedule a consultation online at HWMLaw.com.

Message Us

Get In touch below. Ask Any Question or Start a Free Quote

Don’t Delay


Get a Free Legal Consultation Today!

Or Call Now: (609) 407-1000

I understand and agree that submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship or agreement to provide legal services.

Want to learn more about our legal services? Consult with one of our workers' compensation or personal injury attorneys by contacting our lawyers or call (609) 407-1000 today. Our Attorneys proudly serve all of Southern New Jersey including the nearby areas of Northfield, Pleasantville, Galloway, Linwood, Atlantic City, as well as, Atlantic, Cape May, Camden, Cumberland and Ocean Counties and the greater Southern New Jersey region. We look forward to working with you!

Open Hours

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm
Weekends By Appointment Only

The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Each case is unique and we encourage you to seek licensed legal advice to ensure all of your questions are answered. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice based on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the state of New Jersey.

Call Now Button